Thursday, December 31, 2009

Mountain or molehill

Went on a long walk with the dogs. Lately I always take the bleu route, it takes you trough the woods first, than trough the dunes and down to a nice stretch of beach, back up through the dunes and into the woods again. When we have a good pace it takes us about two hours. It’s a nice route, there is one point though, near the end, that I dread just a bit. It’s a climb up, its not a big climb, next to Everest it’s not even a molehill. But it’s enough hill to have me dread it, see at that point I’m getting tired, my legs are cold and from down there, looking up it always seems to high.

Today I was a bit late, the sun was already setting. Walking along the beach I could see the gray sea and the gray sky merging into one and the world was getting smaller and smaller. I took my time, cause just before the real dark sets in you get to know things you wouldn’t know by the light of day. Little birds that skim the shore line, suddenly don’t mind you being there at all. Waves that roll on to the sand seem to change there tune and the wind makes her direction more clear.

When I finally went back up the dune, which by the way is a real climb with it’s lose sand and steep slope, I looked back at the sea, she was almost hidden by darkness, just a few white puffs of foam on the waves and her sound told me she was still there. I thanked her and went back in to the now dark woods, I don’t mind the dark, the world is snug and silent then. I finally came to the bend in the path and I knew the dreaded hill was just around the corner, spending that much time on the beach and temperatures dropping fast my legs felt like jelly frozen over. But going up the dreaded hill never felt as light, I actually enjoyed it. On the way back to my car I pondered, was it just because I couldn’t see up, or did I bow to my irrational fear, took kamea, relaxed and moved.

No comments:

Post a Comment