Sunday, February 27, 2011

Judgment day

Saw some chairs in a thrift shop, 6 chairs for half prize, a X-Mass sale of sorts. For that prize I thought they were good chairs, sturdy chairs, chairs worth having.  We had our dogs with us so six big chunky oak chairs would not fit in our small car. We decided to come back the Saturday before  X-Mass. On our way back and all days leading up to Saturday I praised those chairs, there aesthetics, their quality, the craftsmanship, and how good they would look in our, yet to be build, kitchen. 

Me and dates are no match and I never realized that Saturday was X-Mass, save to say that the thrift shop was closed.   

After the holidays I went back hoping the  chairs would still be there, and they were. But the prize was back to the days before the X-Mass sale and suddenly my view of the chairs changed dramatically, I saw flaws where I had seen craftsmanship, I saw old where I had seen antique. 

The chairs did not change but my mind did. That is where clinging on and judging of leads you, on the seesaw of opinion, up or down, good or bad, like or dislike. 

Those chairs I did not take them home, but I did thank them for the lesson they taught, and that lesson I took with me free of charge.


No comments:

Post a Comment